Monday, August 31, 2009

Bombay Anna: The Real Story and Remarkable Adventures of the King and I Governess by Susan Morgan


Since I was a young girl, I have loved the romantic tale of the musical, The King and I. I am a bit saddened to learn that the story was based almost fully on a fabrication of Anna Leonowens! Susan Morgan has done a wonderful job as she researched the true story of the Governess/Teacher to the children of King Mongkut, King of Siam. The true story is actually more interesting, probably, than one that the world is more acquainted with.

To overcome a world of classes where one lowly born could have little hope of rising up in the world, Anna created a new persona for herself upon the death of her husband, Tom. She abandoned her former identity and became another.

Fascinating historical piece. I think it is a must read for any who have come to love The King and I. The story will always have a different face for me, now.

1 comment:

  1. Well written and well researched this is a must read for anyone who sat entranced by the King and I or who has an interest in the real lives of Victorian women.

    regards,
    marlene of Renton Auto Service

    ReplyDelete