Monday, August 10, 2009

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky


Irene Nemirovsky's character development in this unfinished five movement symphony (she finished 2 of the five sections before she was taken to Auschwitz where she died) is amazing. The story was very engaging as she interweaves the lives of the characters. Set in Paris, France just after the German invasion at the start of WWII, Ms. Nemirovsky describes what was life for the French during the occupation. I think that the rather peaceful coexistence that existed between the French and the Germans will surprise many. The stories of love and family are lovely and endearing. Most interesting to me was her portrayal of class struggles and their role in the war and the lingering effect of aristocracy on a democracy.

1 comment:

  1. I am curious as I'm writing my master's thesis on Nemirovsky. Are you familiar with the third unfinished novel from Suite Francaise? I was not aware that the story was available. Thank you for any awareness you can offer.

    ReplyDelete