Friday, January 15, 2010

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls


This has been one of the more memorable books that I have read in a long time! It was difficult for me, at times, not to think that I was reading some Newberry Award winning book where the author tells the story od some fictious family with the strangest things happening to them; children with some of the weirdest parents of all times making it because of the strength of character of the children in the family. But then, I remember that this is the writer's memoir and she is telling the true story of her childhood.
It was so very impactful and full of wonderful insights into the lives of children raised by parents dealing with alcoholism and mental problems and how it is that many people find themselves living on the streets...and even choosing to do so. I highly recommend this book to all! You will be amazed by the Walls' children!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try that again ...

    I've read this twice (once as an audio book). I agree that it's a powerful book. I posted a review here.

    ReplyDelete