Saturday, January 23, 2010

To Destroy You is No Loss: The Odyssey of a Cambodian Family by JoAn D. Criddle


I have been grateful for my decision to participate in the Olympic Reading Challenge because it has given me the opportunity to learn about people, places, and events that I would probably not have learned about, otherwise. This book is the story of Teeda Butt Mam who grew up in an elite, wealthy family in Phnom Penh prior to the fall of the Cambodian government under the Khmer Rouge. It details the genocide of millions of Cambodians under the hands of the Communist government. It is amazing to me that I was totally unaware of this happening in my lifetime! The book helped me to continue to change my outlook on the rest of the world and the individual worth of people all around us. It is so easy to get wrapped up into our prideful, nationalistic ways and not have the appropriate love and respect that we should have for people wherever they live...and to do more to reach out a hand to those in need of support and understanding. I am resolved to do more about the problem of refugees around the world who long for peace and freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment