Saturday, February 7, 2009

2012 Olympics Reading Challenge

I am currently participating in a rather rigorous reading challenge, right now, called the 2012 Olympic Reading Challenge. The challenge is to read a book by an author from each of the 202 countries who will be participating in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London prior to those Olympic Games beginning. A link to the challenge can be found here:



katrina's reads: The Olympic Challenge: London 2012



I have just finished reading the book Fear and Trembling by the Danish writer/philosopher Soren Kierkegaard. Here are my thoughts on the book:



Difficult read, for the most part. However, Kierkegaard's discussion of faith, as an existentialist of the 1850's is fascinating! In Fear and Trembling, Kiekegaard discusses the Biblical account of Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac as a demonstration of perfect faith and what all is entailed in that.
I think that the reading would have been easier for me to more fully understand if I had been more familiar with the philosophies of Hegel, who Kierkegaard refers to (and refutes) so often.



No comments:

Post a Comment