Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society


This was an interesting read for me. I was not aware of the German Occupation of Guernsey and some of the history there. I loved the characterizations (I especially loved weird Isola!). I was also impreseed that she brought in a true piece of history as she showed a majority of the German soldiers occupying Guernsey as sympathetic and not evil to those around them. It gave back a human look to the German occupiers and not the one that is most often portrayed. I think it is often forgotten that the soldiers on both sides were just there for the job at hand and were good, law-abiding citizens prior to the war who looked forward to getting back to their families. Guernsey is placed up in stark contrast to the evil things done in camps such as Ravenbrook.
One of my favorite passages in the book that I thought said so much follows:"There didn't sem to be anything else to say after that--though I was thinking, if only Elizabeth could have held on for a few more weeks, she could have come home to Kit. Why, why. so close to the end, did she attack the overseer?""Remy watched the sea breathe in and out. Then she said, "It would have been better for her not to have such a heart.""Yes, but worse for us.""The tide came in then: cheers, screams, and no more sand castles."
Lovely symbolism!

No comments:

Post a Comment